Valentine’s Day is not exclusive to only those in a romantic relationship. It’s also a little reminder to spread love to those around you – friends, colleagues, family, even strangers! Because in a world full of negativity, let’s be the ones spreading positivity and kindness!
And in a lovely coincidence this year Random Acts of Kindness week kicks off the day before Valentine’s Day! So it’s clearly a sign!
Love has long been associated with kindness, but did you know that random acts of kindness have also been found to increase heart health by lowering blood pressure for the person performing the act? That same study also found that it reduces feelings of stress, anxiety, and increases happiness.
So what’s stopping us all from spreading some love? Here’s some love spreading inspo…
- Go buy those annoyingly pink cards and chocolates, then leave them for strangers to find
- Make dinner for a friend
- Write a letter and pop it in the post (remember when people used to do that once upon at time?)
- Write a thank you note
- Smile! Smile! Smile!
- Help someone
- Let someone go ahead of you in the line
- Open the door for someone
- Leave a funny joke in a library book
- Tell someone why they are special to you
- Read to someone
- Bring flowers to someone
- Talk to someone new at work
- Wave and say hello to strangers
- Surprise a single girlfriend with fresh flowers to let her know how much you appreciate her
- Bake a homemade treat for your colleagues at work
- Put your phone down when you’re talking with someone
- Reach out to someone you admire and let them know why, whether that is your mum, a friend or a colleague at work
- Pay for the order of the person behind you at the coffee shop or in the drive through
- Go through your closet and donate what you don’t use or need anymore
- Compliment a stranger
- Call your parents and let them know how much you appreciate them
- Donate to a cause close to your heart
- Don’t forget about yourself either. Be your own Best Friend! Go and treat yourself to new outfit, binge-watch your favourite TV show, eat that chocolate cake! You deserve it!